If you would like to obtain a permit to transport and sell nonferrous metals or a precious metals permit please come to the records division here at the sheriff’s office. By law, applications must be made in person. Please bring a state issued photo id and the vehicle registration that will be used to transport the items if it is available to you. Applicants are subjected to a background check. You will be notified by telephone when the application has been processed. You must be a resident of Florence County to receive a permit from this office. Permits are required to sell,including, but not limited to copper wire, copper clad steel wire, copper pipe, copper bars, copper sheeting, aluminum other than aluminum cans, a product that is a mixture of aluminum or copper, catalytic converters, lead-acid batteries, steel propane gas tanks, and stainless steel beer kegs or containers. Any questions may be directed to 843-665-2121 ext. 390.
These are available Monday through Thursday 8:30 to 4:30. You must show a valid government issued I.D. and there is a $5.00 fee.
We do local county background checks only. Our checks only show Florence County Sheriff’s office arrest information going back 5 years. There is a $5.00 fee and you must provide government issued identification. If you are seeking more than a local county background check, you can obtain a SLED background check via their website, www.sled.state.sc.us.
Before a vehicle can be released from our impound yard, the owner must show proof of ownership, proof of current insurance, and pay the towing fee, which is a minimum of $125.00. Towing fees may vary. Vehicles will be released Monday through Friday 8:30am-11:30am and 1:30pm-4:30pm.
- When inmates are booked into FCDC they are not allowed visitation prior to a bond hearing. If an inmate fails to meet the requirements of bond he/she will be placed into our housing area.
- For the first three days of housing, an inmate may have visitation on two of three days. You may call 843-665-9944 ext 300 to schedule (8:30-4:00 M-F)
- After this period an inmate is allowed to fill out a form with up to 5 names of who may visit. The inmate is also required to schedule your visit and is responsible for notifying you of the time and date.
- Each inmate is allowed to schedule two periods of visitation per week. A maximum of three persons are allowed to visit at one time. The allotted time may not be split to allow more than three visitors. Visits may not be rescheduled nor transferred. Plan to arrive early, once visitation has begun no one else will be allowed to enter!
Visitation – Special Needs
If you have a medical condition or special need which will not allow you to climb stairs or walk long distances, you will need your physician to fax documentation outlining your limitations. The fax number is 843-665-9954. After your physician has sent this information to us you may call 843-665-9944 ext 300 for further assistance.
Visitation – Out of State
- If you are driving from out of state for the purpose of visiting an inmate, please let us know by calling 843-665-9944 ext 300 so that we can allow you some flexibility for your visit.
- You must still meet the standard guidelines for visitation and bring your out of state identification with you
Visitation – Ministry or Clergy visits
Please call 843-665-9944 ext 300 to schedule your visit. Special times may be allotted to you and your visit does not count towards an inmates two visits per week. Please bring appropriate identification.
Visitation - Inmate in Protective Custody
If the inmate you wish to visit has been classified as being in “protective custody” the available visitation time is Mon-Fri 1:20pm-1:50pm.
Visitation – Work Camp
If an inmate has been sentenced by a Judge and is serving their time witin our work camp the following applies:
- A – Rotation rooms 101-112 Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday 8:00am-9:00pm
- B – Rotation rooms 201-212 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:00am-9:00pm
Please call 843-665-9944 ext 300 to schedule a visit. Saturday visits must be scheduled by 3:00pm on Friday.
Visitation – State Inmates
Visitation lists, additions, or changes are made at SCDC and sent to us. We will not modify any state inmates approved visitors list.
- Mon-Fri 6:45pm-7:45pm
- Sunday 6:00pm-8:00pm
Visitation – Attorneys, Professional staff
We will accommodate all reasonable visits. Please bring your identification. Paralegals or Investigators need to bring a written request from an attorney on company letterhead along with identification. All problems should be addressed to the Detention Center Captain.
All Visitors Please Note
- You will dress appropriately. You will be denied visitation for:
- Too short dresses
- Low cut tops
- See through clothing
- Tank and halter tops – spaghetti straps
- Tube tops – strapless tops
- Short shorts
- You must wear shoes, and this includes walking aged children.
- We reserve the right to deny your visitation for any of the above reasons. You may also be denied visitation for any rules violation.
- We will not tell you who is on an inmates visitation list.
- We will not tell you who has visited an inmate.
How to deposit money in an Inmate Account
Inmates are allowed to order commissary items during the time of their incarceration. You may place money into an account by the following methods:
- Send a money order or cashier check to this address:
This service is free.
- There is a kiosk in our lobby for the deposit of funds. There is a fee associated with this service fo $3.75 per transaction. The ATM will take cash, credit, or debit cards. You may access the lobby at any time Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Online by going to www.courtmoney.com. Our facility code is 5500. You will need the inmates Global Jacket Number which is available by calling 1-843-665-2121 ext 300. The fee for this service is; by telephone 5.5% of transaction and by computer 4.5% of transaction.
- We do not set the fees nor receive a commission on those.
- You may not give cash money to any employee to deposit for an inmate.
How to have mail delivered to an inmate
- You may mail letters, postcards, or greeting cards to:
- You may include small photographs. Pornographic, obscene, or gang photos will be returned to sender.
- Do not write or draw anything on the envelope or correspondence. All drawings will be treated as gang graffiti or attempts to secretly communicate. Such material will be returned to sender.
- All mail (except clearly marked legal mail) is opened prior to the inmate receiving it in an attempt to keep contraband out of our facility.
Inmate charges and bond amounts
- First check www.fcso.org and view an inmates booking information
- You may go to www.vinelink.com and register if you are the victim of a crime and with to receive information on an inmate status.
- Contact the booking department at 843-665-9944 ext 485, 486, and 487
Picking up Money/Property from an Inmate
- An inmate wishing to have any of his/her property must originate this activity by requesting a form from the housing unit officer. Once the paperwork is approved by the administration you will be notified to pick up the items. You may come Mon-Fri 9:00am-4:00pm.
- Inmates who are attending court for senticing should dispose of their property in a timely fashion. Once sentenced for a crime which requires an inmate be sent to the South Carolina Department of Corrections, we send the inmate and associated property. As inmates are not allowed to have only a minimal list of items, the bulk of what is sent with the inmate is placed in the trash at SCDC. They do not have room to store an inmates excess belongings, nor do we.
Items you may mail into any work camp inmate
- Toothbrush (2)
- Toothpaste (2)
- Soap (8)
- Deodorant (2)
- Shampoo (2)
- Hair Grease
- Baby Powder
- Foot Powder
- Hair Clippers
- Electric Shavers
- Lotion (2)
- Shaving Cream (4) (no metal cans)
- New Underwear (7) (white only, no briefs nor boxers briefs)
- Thermal underwear (7) (white or gray)
- New T-Shirts/Socks (7) (white only, no tank tops)
- Shower Shoes/Flip Flops (1)
- Personal Coat to work in (1)
- Athletic Shoes (1)
- Work Boots (1) (no steel toes)
- Optional pair of shoes (1)
- Writing Tablets (2)
- Magazines (4) (No Pornography; from publisher)
- Newspaper (from publisher)
- Books (4) (soft cover only from publisher)
- Legal Documents
- Family Photographs 5x7 or smaller
- Prescription Glasses/Contacts
*Any non approved items will be returned at your expense.
State Inmate Workers
In addition to the above:
- Electric Shavers
- Facial Cleansers
- Disposable Razors
- Nail clipper without file
- Extra Paor shoes/Boots
- Phone Cards